Changing Times, Changing Gardens: San Luis Obispo
Regional Landscape Design in Central California
Join Pacific Horticulture, a lively gathering of eco-thought leaders and designers, and other like-minded gardeners, for an inspiring and educational weekend symposium investigating a contemporary approach to garden design reflecting local climate conditions, smart water use, and harmonious plant choices.
Our program begins on Saturday with seminar talks held at the new Baker Center for Science and Math, which features a landscape designed by Susan Van Atta. Following a boxed lunch, we’ll tour Leaning Pine Arboretum led by Director Chris Wassenberg, and Cal Poly Professor and California tree expert Dr. Matt Ritter will lead a hike amongst the trees on campus.
Sunday highlights local gardens designed by Jeffrey Gordon Smith, Gabriel Frank, and Sage Ecological Landscapes & Nursery that beautifully reflect environmental design principles.
Further details and registration link here.
Symposium speakers and designers include:
- Randy Baldwin San Marcos Growers
- Carol Bornstein Natural History Museum of LA County
- Todd Davidson Sage Ecological Landscapes & Nursery
- Gabriel Frank Gardens by Gabriel Frank
- Jeffrey Gordon Smith JGS Landscape Architecture, author of A Collection of Residential JGS Landscape Designs
- Matt Ritter Professor, Cal Poly, SLO, author of A Californian’s Guide to the Trees Among Us
- Susan Van Atta Van Atta Associates, author of The Southern California Native Flower Garden
- Chris Wassenberg Director, Leaning Pine Arboretum