REGISTER here for this special event!
Enjoy a day of learning and engagement at the historic Gabilan Ranch located outside of San Juan Bautista, CA. This family-owned cattle ranch is currently managed using a resilient and cutting edge method called holistic management, which seeks to move the grazing cattle across the land to preserve and regenerate the integrity of grasslands and oak savannah. Soil health, native plants, enhanced water retention, and increased biodiversity all come into play on a grand scale, and the results and methods are both fascinating and relevant to the way we garden today.
– Tour the original 1870s ranch house.
– Explore the ranch via all terrain vehicles and see cattle, calves and amazing vistas.
– Watch the cattle come running when they hear the ranch manager yodel.
– See native plants, including a rare manzanita endemic to the site, Arctostaphylos gabilanensis.
– Enjoy lively discussion, delicious lunch and a sunset cocktail on the porch of the main house, overlooking a large pond buzzing with wildlife.
– Take an optional afternoon walking tour of the property (featuring heritage oak trees and Ohlone grinding rocks), birdwatch, or take a siesta on the porch instead.
– Support Pacific Horticulture’s programming on cutting-edge horticulture, emerging environmental science and high-quality content designed to inspire the next generation of land stewards.
This event is hosted by long time Pac Hort Board member, Don Baldocchi. Learn how Don and ranch manager, Jeff Mundell, in coordination with the Nature Conservancy, have undertaken a process that could preserve the grassland ecosystem for generations. Come away with a new understanding of the value of grazing animals, and revitalized hope for our ever changing climate and environment. All on top of a splendid day spent in the country!
Saturday, May 11, 2019
Gabilan Cattle Company, San Juan Bautista, CA
$250 for PHS members
$300 for non-members (includes new membership to PHS)
Register online here or call 510-849-1627 for more information.
– Registration is required and space is limited
– Rain or shine; bring rain gear
– Dress for outdoors: wear layers, jacket, hat, sunscreen, sturdy walking shoes
– This is a private home/working ranch, wheelchair accessibility may be limited
– Hike is not on a trail and includes both uphill/downhill elevation
– Pets not permitted
– Directions will be provided upon registration
– Guests will be asked to sign a liability waiver upon arrival
Hotel rooms are available for out-of-town guests at nearby Hacienda de Leal Hotel in San Juan Bautista at a special PHS discounted rate. For more information and to secure your reservation, call the hotel directly at 831-623-4385.
Cancellation/refund policy: Thank you for supporting the Pacific Horticulture. If you need to cancel your reservation, a 50% refund can be issued if requested prior to one week before the fundraiser date; no refunds can be given within one week of the event. We appreciate your donation, and encourage you to send a friend in your place if you can’t attend.
Register for Creating and Preserving Healthy Grassland Ecosystems
If you would like to support Pacific Horticulture but aren’t able to attend, please consider making a one-time contribution or recurring monthly gift to support the future of PHS to and sustain our work.